- This event has passed.
Second Annual Nonprofit Law Institute
November 2, 2017 | 8:30 am – 5:00 pm$190
Join us for the second annual Nonprofit Law Institute! The Nonprofit Law Institute is for attorneys who want to learn more about serving nonprofits, and for expert practitioners desiring a deeper dive into this fascinating area. Breakout sessions offer exciting choices. Come learn from leaders in the nonprofit legal field and share your interest and experience working with community organizations.
This CLE will also be available online as a live webinar. If you unable to join us in-person in Seattle, please join us from your desk at your computer. Make sure to indicate that you are joining us for the webinar in the registration process, so we can send you the webinar information.
This full-day CLE (7.5 CLE credits, including 1.5 ethics credits, approval pending), 8:30 am 5:00 pm, will include:
1. Commercial Ventures for Nonprofits, Presenters Byron Dailey, Lane Powell; Peter Smith, The Apex Law Group, will discuss the blurring lines of nonprofit and for-profit ventures, including for-profit affiliates and social purpose corporations.
2. Breakout Sections on Compliance Topics:
- State and Local Law Tax Rules for nonprofits, Presented by Bob Heller, Clark Nuber
- Speed-reading Form 990 for Non-accountants, Presented by Howard Donkin and Jacobson Jarvis
- Preview of the New Washington State Nonprofit Statute, Presented by Judy Andrews, Apex Law Group
3. Lunch and Keynote Address: Charity and Politics: Lyndon Johnson v. Donald Trump, Presented by Marcus Owens, Loeb & Loeb LLP
4. Power of Partnerships: Program Related Investments, Presented by Edna Garrett, Assistant General Counsel, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation; Ken Miller, Associate General Counsel, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
5. Federal Tax Law Deep Dive Break Out Sections:
- Deep Dive into the Form 1023 Application for 501c3 tax-exemption, Presented by Lorri Dunsmore, Perkins Coie
- Private Foundations Deeper Dive, Presented by David Lawson, Davis Wright Tremaine,
- Fiscal Sponsorship, Presented by Madhu Singh, The Foundry Law Group
6. Ethics Issues for Nonprofit Counsel (1.5 Ethics CLE Credits) Speakers: Jeanne Marie Clavere, WSBA Professional Responsibility Counsel; Judy Andrews, Apex Law Group; Lorri Dunsmore, Perkins Coie
- Discussion of the legal framework of professional responsibility and ethical considerations of serving nonprofits as counsel
Happy hour 5:00 6:00 pm
Join us for a happy hour after the CLE portion to meet and enjoy your colleagues working in and for the nonprofit sector.
Continental Breakfast, Lunch and Happy Hour are included in the day’s events and in the ticket price.
The Nonprofit Law Institute is a project of WSBA Corporate Counsel Section in collaboration with Wayfind.
Sponsor Partners include Clark Nuber PS, Loeb & Loeb LLP, WSBA Business Law Sections Nonprofit Committee, Association of Corporate Counsel, and the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.
A special thank you to the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation for hosting this event, and to the Aero Law Group for providing administrative support for this event.